Monday, November 8, 2010

A Shooting Star

What a way to end my Monday.  Leaving work I was debating on running through a drive through to get food that's terrible for me in all ways or going home for something much better.  I've had terrible heartburn all day.  That aside, I chose the naughty food b/c the heartburn is going to come no matter what today and I promised myself I'd have a better week ahead.  On my way to retrieve my cheeseburger and fries (yes, I even got fries) I saw a shooting star.  It wasn't a little swoosh, it caught my eye as it started and sailed on for quite some time.  Stars amaze me.  And bring loads of memories.  

First off, I am taken back to a night when I got into trouble. I swear I saw 20 shooting stars that night.  From then on I have been slightly superstitious about them.  Thinking they surely cannot bring me good luck.  Over the years that has changed.  Secondly, I am taken to the very first time I can to Arizona to visit M.  He came to pick me up at the airport and I was a Nervous Nelly.  We walked to his car in the garage holding hands and drove the hour and a half North to Prescott.  The sun had fully gone down by the time we arrived to his house.  I got out of the car, looked up, and froze in my tracks.  Holy Mackerel!  I loved the Kansas sky, when you were out in the country, away from city lights.  But the Arizona sky blows that out of the water.  No question.  I'm fairly certain that Mike remembers this moment too.  There's some rule about street lights, which makes the view that much more awesome.  I've tried to take pictures- those obviously don't turn out.  I believe it was meant to be for me to choose the terrible choice for dinner tonight, otherwise I would have missed the beautiful shooting star.  

Interestingly enough, I have thought about leaving the Arizona sky when we move to Chicago.  I know it's going to be one of the things I miss immensely (along with the weather).  The sky is also one of those things I've taken for granted lately.  I am grateful for the sunshine to keep me in happier spirits.  I am also grateful for the stars that always keep me wishful for the future and thankful for "just another day in paradise."  *sigh* The stars also make me dreamy...almost love struck.  Then I find myself daydreaming about M and our times together.

Speaking of...this weekend was nothing short of perfect.  I had an amazing trip out to Dallas to see him.  I found myself having anxiety about leaving, but once I left, I shed only a few tears and realized how lucky I was that I got to see him.  It was great seeing his new stomping grounds, meeting his friends, and better understanding what his deal out there is all about.  And, of course, it was beyond great hanging out with him.  He's such an amazing man.  I also got to see my Daddy and the Andrades.  Both on different evenings for dinner.  It was nice.  We laughed till we cried and simply soaked in every moment we had together.  Life is good.  

1 comment:

  1. A cheeseburger sounds so good right now! My tummy has been off since my race...hoping it returns to normal today!

    ReplyDelete